About Children's

1900s

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Slideshow of images from the early 1900s
at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh

By the turn of the century Children’s Hospital was well-received and well-utilized. Wards were filled to capacity. The early 1900s saw the additions of electric lights, fans, and open air tents. And in 1907 the hospital’s nursing school opened to train women to care for young of the community. To keep up with the times, in 1909 the hospital’s name was officially changed to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.

From conception Children’s Hospital was generously supported by the community it serves. In 1911 Tag Day was started and became a fund-raising tradition that lasted until 1975. Society page headliners took to the streets one spring day each year to collect money for the hospital. Throughout the area contributors could clearly be seen by the bright yellow tag they wore.

Taken from the Spring 1990 issue of Children's Hospital's COLORS magazine

Last Update
October 25, 2012
  • Increase/Decrease Text Size
  • Print This Page
Last Update
October 25, 2012
top