- Asthma Center
- Allergy & Immunology
- Childhood Cancer
- Childrens Express Care
- Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Genetics
- Newborn Medicine
- Primary Care
- Transplant Programs
- International Services
- Health Info Management
- Poison Control Center
- Ronald McDonald House
- Social Work
- Telemedicine Program
- Volunteer Services
Patients and Families
Planning a Visit
- Get Directions
- Childrens Locations
- Getting Around
- Guidelines for Visitors
- Contact a Patient
- Contact Children's
- Send an e-Card
- Gift Shop
- Find a Doctor
- Child Health A-Z
- Community Ed.Classes
- Injury Prevention
- International Patients
- Medical Records
- Patient Handbook
- Patient Procedures
- Safety Center
- Adolescent Medicine
- Babysitting Class
- Diseases & Conditions
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Injury Prevention
- Schools & Jobs
- Sexual Health
- Teen Health
- For Health Professionals
- Ways to Give
- New Childrens South Opens Sept. 29
- 102.5 WDVE Rocks for Children's and Raises Record Amount
- Third Mellon Scholar Appointed at Children's
Lee Bankin Beerman, MD
Job Title Director, Electrophysiology Services
Job Title Director, Pediatric Arrhythmia Program;
Job Title Professor of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
4401 Penn Avenue, Suite Floor 3Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Education and Training
1974 University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
1977 Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
1979 Children's Hospital Pittsburgh
- American Heart Association (Western Pennsylvania Chapter)
- Affiliate Member, American College of Cardiology
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Sub section of Pediatric Cardiology
- Midwest Pediatric Cardiology Society
- American College of Cardiology
- Pittsburgh Pediatric Society
- Society of Pediatric Echocardiography
- American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young
- Society of Pediatric Electrophysiology
- Medical Alumni Association of Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
- North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology [NASPE]
- Heart Rhythm Society (formerly known as NASPE)
- Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis and Kawasaki Disease Committee, Council on CV Disease in the Young
- Diplomate, American Board of Pediatrics
- Diplomate, American Board of Pediatrics, Sub Board of Pediatric Cardiology
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- Medical License in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Magna Cum Laude, Franklin and Marshall College
- Charles Guthrie Award, Highest performance in Physiology in medical school
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- James M. Henninger Memorial Prize, To the "outstanding member of the medical school Class of 1974 most qualified to carry on the fine tradition of medicine"
- James D. Heard Prize, Second highest performance in Medicine during medical school
- Cum Laude, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Fellowship Award from Western Pennsylvania Heart Association
- Excellence in Education Award, Presented by University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Class of 2000
- Excellence in Education Award, Presented by University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Class of 2002
- Selection for "Best Doctors in America" and Castle Connolly Group "America's Top Doctors"
- Baddour LM, Epstein AE, Erickson CC, Knight BP, Levison ME, Lockhart PB, Masoudi FA, Okum EJ, Wilson WR, Beerman LB, Bolger AF, Estes NA 3rd, Gewitz M, Newburger JW, Schron EB, Taubert KA. A summary of the update on cardiovascular implantable electronic device infections and their management: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. American Heart Association Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis, and Kawasaki Disease Committee of the Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young; Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia; Council on Cardiovascular Nursing; Council on Clinical Cardiology; Interdisciplinary Council on Quality of Care and Outcomes Research. Outcomes Research. J Am Dent Assoc. 2011 Feb;142(2):159-65. Erratum in: J Am Dent Assoc. 2011 Apr;142(4):375-6.
- Baddour LM, Epstein AE, Erickson CC, Knight BP, Levison ME, Lockhart PB, Masoudi FA, Okum EJ, Wilson WR, Beerman LB, Bolger AF, Estes NA 3rd, Gewitz M, Newburger JW, Schron EB, Taubert KA. Update on cardiovascular implantable electronic device infections and their management: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. American Heart Association Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis, and Kawasaki Disease Committee; Council on Cardiovascular Disease in Young; Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia; Council on Cardiovascular Nursing; Council on Clinical Cardiology; Interdisciplinary Council on Quality of Care; American Heart Association. Circulation. 2010 Jan 26;121(3):458-77. Epub 2010 Jan 4.
- Anagnostopoulos PV, Pigula FA, Myers JL, Beerman LB, Siewers RD, Gandhi SK. Autologous patch angioplasty of the left main coronary artery in a pediatric patient: 7-year follow-up. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004 Apr;77(4):1457-9.
Lee Bankin Beerman, MD, is Director of Electrophysiology Services and the Pediatric Arrhythmia Program at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC.
Dr. Beerman is highly respected not only at Children’s Hospital, but also throughout the local medical community in Western Pennsylvania, and nationally as a Pediatric Electrophysiologist. He has won numerous awards for his teaching, and has contributed to the literature of pediatric cardiology in general, and electrophysiology in particular.
Dr. Beerman is a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and completed his residency in Pediatrics at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. He arrived at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC in 1977, where he completed his fellowship in 1979 and has remained on the Pediatric Cardiology staff to this day.
Dr. Beerman is a Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatrics and Sub-Board of Pediatric Cardiology and a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology. He is a former President of the Pennsylvania Chapter of the American College of Cardiology and Govenor of the Western Pennsylvania Chapter of the ACC. He has been a member of the American Heart Association since 1977. At the start of his career, Dr Beerman was the recipient of a fellowship grant and seven research grants from the American Heart Association. He actively participated on the local research committee and is a member of the Council for Cardiovascular Disease in the Young, currently serving on the national committee for Rheumatic Fever, Endocarditis and Kawasaki Disease. He is President elect of Children’s Hospital’s Medical Staff and current President of the Children’s Alumni Association.
Dr. Beerman is involved in clinical research in topics related to arrhythmias and sudden death in the pediatric population and active in teaching medical students, residents, and fellows. He sees general cardiology patients and specializes in the care of patients with arrhythmias. He also treats adults with congenital heart disease, many of whom he has followed since their early childhood.
Dr. Beerman resides in the Point Breeze section of Pittsburgh, Pa., with his wife Janet. They have two children, Michael and Elizabeth, and two grandchildren, Atticus and Cecelia.
Active Research Projects / Grants
- Study of SYNAGIS for prophylaxis of respiratory syncytial virus in children with congenital heart disease. (Co-Investigator; Principal Investigator, Susan A. Miller, MD).
- Consultant on Grant Application to the Dept of HHS and Public Health Service: Clinical and Molecular Analysis of Brugada Syndrome [ Barry London, MD - PI].
October 4, 2012
October 4, 2012