- Asthma Center
- Allergy & Immunology
- Childhood Cancer
- Childrens Express Care
- Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Genetics
- Newborn Medicine
- Primary Care
- Transplant Programs
- International Services
- Health Info Management
- Poison Control Center
- Ronald McDonald House
- Social Work
- Telemedicine Program
- Volunteer Services
- Welcome/Info Center
Patients and Families
Planning a Visit
- Get Directions
- Childrens Locations
- Getting Around
- Guidelines for Visitors
- Contact a Patient
- Contact Children's
- Send an e-Card
- Gift Shop
- Find a Doctor
- Child Health A-Z
- Community Ed.Classes
- Injury Prevention
- International Patients
- Medical Records
- Patient Handbook
- Patient Procedures
- Safety Center
- Adolescent Medicine
- Babysitting Class
- Diseases & Conditions
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Injury Prevention
- Schools & Jobs
- Sexual Health
- Teen Health
- For Health Professionals
- Ways to Give
- Board of Trustees Leadership Changes
- New Childrens Express Care Opens
- Childrens Named One of Americas Top 10 Childrens Hospitals
Robert Goitz, MD
Job Title Chief, Division of Hand, Upper Extremity and Microsurgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh
Job Title Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh
Job Title Associate Professor, Department of Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh
Job Title Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh
4401 Penn Avenue, Suite Floor 2Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Education and Training
1992 Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
1997 University of Pittsburgh, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Pittsburgh, PA
1998 Hand, Upper Extremity and Microsurgery, Indiana Hand Center, Indianapolis, IN
- Allegheny County Medical Society
- American Medical Association
- Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Society
- Pennsylvania Medical Society
- Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Indianapolis Hand Society
- Carpe Diem Hand Club
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Association for Hand Surgery
- American Orthopaedic Association
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Certificate of Added Qualification For Surgery of the Hand
- Federal Licensing Examination (FLEX), Parts I and II
- Tau Beta Pi, National Engineering Honor Society
- 1984-1988 Dean’s List (all semesters)
- 1985-1986 Varsity Crew, Championship Eight
- 1986-1988 Alpha Epsilon Delta, Premedical Honor Society
- Summa Cum Laude, College of Engineering
- 1989–1991 Dean's Summer Research Grant
- Residents’ Paper Competition, 2nd Place, “Arthroscopic-Assisted Rotator Cuff Repair Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society Sports Conference, Williamsburg, VA
- Patrick Laing, MD Traveling Fellowship in Upper Extremity Surgery, University of Zurich, Switzerland
- Best Clinical Research Paper by a Resident, “Arthroscopic-Assisted Rotator Cuff Repair: Results and Indications”, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2005-2010 “Best Doctors in America”
- 2008-2010 “America’s Top Orthopedists”, Consumers’ Research Council of America
- Tang P, Gauvin J, Pfaeffle JH, Imbriglia JE, Goitz RJ: A Comparison of the Contact Biomechanics of the Intact and Proximal Row Carpectomy Wrist. Journal of Hand Surgery (In Preparation).
- Chou K, Chou F, Goitz RJ: Surgical Treatment of Juvenile Post-traumatic Palmar Midcarpal Instability: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Journal of Hand Surgery (In Review).
- Razfar A, Goitz RJ, Duffy JM, Kowalchuck DA, Borrero CG, Towers J, Irrgang JJ, Kaufmann RA: Outcome of Non-Operative Treatment of Ulnar-Sided Wrist Pain. Journal of Hand Surgery (In Review).
View Dr. Goitz's full list of publications from PubMed.
- DIP Joint Anatomy and Kinematics: Using micro-CT analysis, evaluating the anatomy and biomechanics of the DIP joint. Characterizing wear characteristics of the DIP joint and developing a model to study osteoarthritis. Also developing implants for the DIP joint with patent pending invention.
- Carpal Tunnel Morphology: Rigorously characterized the transverse carpal ligament, the carpal canal and the change in dimensions related to wrist motion.
- Biomechanical consequences of compression neuropathies including motor control and coordination.
- Thumb CMC Kinematics in Osteoarthritis: Use of motion analysis to characterize complex motion of the thumb CMC and MCP joints and correlate changes related to osteoarthritic changes. Plan to develop more comprehensive classification for basal thumb joint arthritis.
- Forearm Biomechanics: Studying the association between the type of radial head fracture and the potential for an interosseous membrane injury (Essex Lopresti lesion) using MRI.
- Studying the potential for vascular stem cells to improve nerve recovery.
- Ulnar-sided wrist pain: Studying outcome of nonoperative treatment for patients presenting with ulnar-sided wrist pain.
- TFCC tears: Prospective study of different techniques to treat peripheral traumatic TFCC tears.
- Nerve conduits: Complications associated with the use of nerve conduits for digital nerve deficits.
- Wrist fractures in elderly: Outcome of elderly treated for distal radius fracture.
February 2, 2010
February 2, 2010