- Asthma Center
- Allergy & Immunology
- Childhood Cancer
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Genetics
- Newborn Medicine
- Primary Care
- Transplant Programs
- Childrens Express Care
- International Services
- Health Info Management
- Poison Control Center
- Ronald McDonald House
- Social Work
- Telemedicine Program
- Volunteer Services
- Welcome/Info Center
Patients and Families
Planning a Visit
- Get Directions
- Childrens Locations
- Getting Around
- Guidelines for Visitors
- Contact a Patient
- Contact Children's
- Send an e-Card
- Gift Shop
- Find a Doctor
- Child Health A-Z
- Community Ed.Classes
- Injury Prevention
- International Patients
- Medical Records
- Patient Handbook
- Patient Procedures
- Adolescent Medicine
- Babysitting Class
- Diseases & Conditions
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Injury Prevention
- Schools & Jobs
- Sexual Health
- Teen Health
- For Health Professionals
- Ways to Give
- Adding Breast Milk Ingredient to Formula Could Prevent Deadly Intestinal Problem in Premature Babies
- Children's Holds Groundbreaking Ceremony for Expansion to New South Fayette Location
- Child Neurodevelopmental and Mental Health Disabilities on the Rise, Study Finds
Lakshmanan Krishnamurti, MD
Job Title Clinical Director, Hematology
Job Title Director, Comprehensive Hemoglobinopathy Program
Job Title Associate Professor of Pediatrics
4401 Penn Avenue, Suite Floor 9Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Education and Training
1987 Naval Hospital, Bombay University, Bombay, India
1998 University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn.
1997 University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn.
- American Society of Hematology
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- American Society of Bone Marrow Transplantation
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Pediatrics, Sub-board of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- "Ajit Gharpure Award" for excellence in Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Poona University, Pune, India
- Nouraie M, Lee JS, Zhang Y, Kanias T, Zhao X, Xiong Z, Oriss TB, Zeng Q, Kato GJ, Gibbs JS, Hildesheim ME, Sachdev V, Barst R, Machado R, Hassell KL, Little JA, Schraufnagel DE, Krishnamurti L, Novelli E, Girgis RE, Morris C, Rosenzweig EB, Badesch DB, Lanzkron S, Castro O, Goldsmith JC, Gordeuk V, Gladwin MT. The relationship between the severity of hemolysis, clinical manifestations and risk of death in 415 patients with sickle cell anemia in the US and Europe. Haematologica. 2012 Sep 14.
- Gheorghe G, Galambos C, Jain S, Krishnamurti L, Jaffe R. A novel TCIRG1 gene mutation leads to severe osteopetrosis with altered content of monocytes/macrophages in several organs. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2012 Mar-Apr;15(2):156-9.
- Dovey S, Krishnamurti L, Sanfilippo J, Gunawardena S, Mclendon P, Campbell M, Alway S, Efymow B, Gracia C. Oocyte cryopreservation in a patient with sickle cell disease prior to hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: first report. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2012 Mar;29(3):265-9.
Sickle Cell Disease and Thalassemia
Dr. Lakshmanan Krishnamurti’s clinical research is focused on developing newer, gentler types of bone marrow transplantation for patients with inherited blood disorders, such as sickle cell disease and Thalassemia. Most often, stem cell transplantation is used to treat cancer. However, BMT is the only procedure that can cure sickle cell disease, a blood disorder affecting more than 50,000 Americans.
Children with sickle cell disease have crescent-shaped, sticky, rigid red blood cells that obstruct blood flow and decrease the amount of oxygen reaching their organs, which causes frequent pain crises. Eventual outcomes include organ shutdown and, on average, a 30-year loss of life expectancy. Approximately 60 BMTs for sickle cell disease have been performed in the United States in the last 10 years because the stringent criteria and stigma of BMT - that it is an intensive treatment requiring weeks of hospitalization - kept patients away.
To increase the number of sickle cell patients undergoing BMT, the procedure had to be made safer and less toxic. Researchers, such as Dr. Krishnamurti, have learned that BMT becomes less toxic when large doses of immunosuppressive medications are given before transplant, instead of high doses of chemotherapy. This reduced intensity conditioning reduces many of the risks and side effects associated with BMT.
Dr. Krishnamurti performed the first successful BMT using such a reduced intensity conditioning regimen on an 8-year old girl with sickle cell disease. Ultimately, it is hoped that such reduced intensity conditioning regimens will make BMT available to many more patients with sickle cell disease and Thalassemia.
Other Research Interests
- Hemoglobinopathies clinical and molecular epidemiologic aspects
- Newborn screening and counseling for hemoglobinopathies
- Novel approaches to hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for hemoglobinopathies
- Lymphoproliferative disorder following solid organ and bone marrow transplantation
- Non-myeloablative HSCT for malignant and non-malignant disorders
- Role of allochimerism in tolerization to transplanted solid organs
- Role of Bioinformatics systems in clinical care and research in sickle cell disease
Active Research Projects / Grants
- Principal Investigator, A Phase II/II study of Sildenafil for the treatment of sickle cell disease, associated pulmonary hypertension
- Principal Investigator, "Western Pennsylvania Sickle Cell Network: An Integrated System of Care for the Enhancement of Newborn Screening Follow-Up"
- Principal Investigator, "Newborn Screening Follow-Up and comprehensive care for Sickle cell disease in region 3 of Pennsylvania"
- Site Principal Investigator, "Deferoxamine in sickle cell disease patients with transfusional hemosiderosis"
- Site Principal Investigator, "Safety of ICL670 in Sickle Cell Patients with Iron Overload"
- Site Principal Investigator, "Safety of ICA-17043 with or without Hydroxyurea"
- Site Principal Investigator, "Randomized study of Inhaled Nitric Oxide for the treatment of sickle cell associated vasocclusive pain crises"
March 21, 2013
March 21, 2013