- Asthma Center
- Allergy & Immunology
- Childhood Cancer
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Genetics
- Newborn Medicine
- Primary Care
- Transplant Programs
- Childrens Express Care
- International Services
- Health Info Management
- Poison Control Center
- Ronald McDonald House
- Social Work
- Telemedicine Program
- Volunteer Services
- Welcome/Info Center
Patients and Families
Planning a Visit
- Get Directions
- Childrens Locations
- Getting Around
- Guidelines for Visitors
- Contact a Patient
- Contact Children's
- Send an e-Card
- Gift Shop
- Find a Doctor
- Child Health A-Z
- Community Ed.Classes
- Injury Prevention
- International Patients
- Medical Records
- Patient Handbook
- Patient Procedures
- Safety Center
- Adolescent Medicine
- Babysitting Class
- Diseases & Conditions
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Injury Prevention
- Schools & Jobs
- Sexual Health
- Teen Health
- For Health Professionals
- Ways to Give
- Webcam System Connects Families with Newborns in Intensive Care Units
- Surgical Technique Developer Leads New Center for Colorectal Issues
- Children's Named a Top Hospital for Safety and Quality
Al-Walid A. Mohsen, PhD
Job Title Research Assistant Professor and Lab Supervisor, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Medical Genetics, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, University of Pittsburgh
4401 Penn Ave., Suite Floor 5Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Education and Training
1982 Faculty of Science Ein-Shams University, Cairo
1992 Auburn University, Auburn, AL
1995 Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- High Scholarship and Outstanding Achievement, Gamma Sigma Delta
- Outstanding Academic Achievement, Auburn University, AL
- Luís, P. B.M., Ruiter, J. P.N., IJlst, L., de Almeida, I.T., Duran, M., Mohsen, A.-W. A., Vockley, J., Wanders, R.J.A., and Silva, M. F.B. (2011) Role of isovaleryl-CoA dehydrogenase and short branched-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase in mitochondrial metabolism of valproic acid: Implications for the branched chain amino acid oxidation pathway. Drug Met. Disposition, accepted.
- Homayoun, H., Khavandgar, S., Hoover, J. M., Mohsen, A.-W. A., Vockley, J., and Clemens, P.R. (2011) Novel mutation in MYH7 gene associated with distal myopathy and cardiomyopathy. Neuromuscular Disorders, accepted; available online.
- He, M., Pei, Z., Majumder, N. , Mohsen, A.-W., Waltkins, P. , Murdoch, G., Van Veldhoven, P.P., Vockley, J. (2011) New acyl-CoA dehydrogenases: Redefining long chain fatty acid catabolism. Mol. Genet. Met. 102(4):418-29.
- Wang, Y., Mohsen, A.-W. A., Mihalik, S. J., Goetzman, E., Vockley, J. (2010) Evidence for the physical association of mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation and oxidative phosphorylation complexes. J. Biol. Chem. 285(39):29834-41.
- Alfardan, J., Mohsen, A.-W. A., Copeland, S., Ellison, J., Keppen-Davis, L., Rohrbach, M., Powell, B. R., Gillis, J., Matern, D., Kant, J., and Vockley, J. (2010). Characterization of new ACADSB gene sequence mutations and clinical implications in patients with 2-methylbutyrylglycinuria identified by newborn screening. Mol. Genet. Met. 100(4):333-8.
- Maher, A, Mohsen, A.-W. A., Vockley, J, and Tarnopolsky, M. A. (2010). Low expression of long-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase in human skeletal muscle. Mol. Genet. Met. 100(2):163-7.
- Mohsen, A.-W. A., Rigby, S.E., Jensen, K.F., Munro, A.W., and Scrutton, N.S.* (2004). Thermodynamic basis of electron transfer in dihydoorotate dehydrogenase B from Lactococcus lactis: analysis by potentiometry, EPR and ENDOR spectroscopy. Biochemistry, 43(21):6498-510.
- Vockley, J.*, Mohsen, A-W. A., Binzak, B., Willard, J., and Fauq, A. (2000) Mammalian branched-chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenases: Molecular cloning and characterization of the recombinant enzymes. Methods Enzymol. 324:241-258.
- Mohsen, A.-W. A., Anderson, B., Volchenboum, S. L., Battaile, K., Tiffany, K. A., Roberts, D. L., Kim, J.-J. P., and Vockley, J.* (1998). Characterization of molecular defects in isovaleryl-CoA dehydrogenase in patients with isovaleric acidemia. Biochemistry, 37:10325-35.
- Mohsen, A.-W. A., and Vockley, J.* (1995). Identification of the active site catalytic residue in human isovaleryl-CoA dehydrogenase. Biochemistry, 34:10146-52.
- Mohsen, A.-W. A., and Vockley, J.* (1995). High-level expression of an altered cDNA encoding human isovaleryl-CoA dehydrogenase in Escherichia coli. Gene, 160:263-267.
- Mohsen, A.-W. A., Aull, J. L., Payne, M., and Daron, H. H.* (1995). Ligand-induced conformational changes of thymidylate synthase.
Active Research Projects / Grants
- NIH R21: Development of Chemical Chaperone for Medium Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Deficiency, Principal Investigator
- NIH R01: Molecular Characterization of Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenases, Co-Principal Investigator
- Hyperion Therapeutics: Metabolism of Phenylbutyryl-CoA Through Fatty Acid Oxidation, Co-Principal Investigator
April 7, 2011
April 7, 2011