- Asthma Center
- Allergy & Immunology
- Childhood Cancer
- Childrens Express Care
- Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Genetics
- Newborn Medicine
- Primary Care
- Transplant Programs
- International Services
- Health Info Management
- Poison Control Center
- Ronald McDonald House
- Social Work
- Telemedicine Program
- Volunteer Services
Patients and Families
Planning a Visit
- Get Directions
- Childrens Locations
- Getting Around
- Guidelines for Visitors
- Contact a Patient
- Contact Children's
- Send an e-Card
- Gift Shop
- Find a Doctor
- Child Health A-Z
- Community Ed.Classes
- Injury Prevention
- International Patients
- Medical Records
- Patient Handbook
- Patient Procedures
- Safety Center
- Adolescent Medicine
- Babysitting Class
- Diseases & Conditions
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Injury Prevention
- Schools & Jobs
- Sexual Health
- Teen Health
- For Health Professionals
- Ways to Give
- PCORI Grant Supports Study of Early Rehabilitation Protocols
- Childhood Disability Rates Highest Recorded
- Express Care Opens New Location
Nader Shaikh, MD, MPH
Job Title Assistant Professor, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
3414 Fifth Ave., Suite Floor 3Pittsburgh, PA 15213-2583
Education and Training
1993 MP, MPH UCLA School Of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA
2000 Pediatic resident, AI duPont Hospital for Children and Thomas Jefferson Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
2002 Fellowship in General Academic Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Pittsburgh, PA
- Ambulatory Pediatric Association
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Oct 2006 Pitt innovator award for work on Infant Development, Interactive CD-ROM – U. of Pittsburgh
- May 2003 Pitt. Innovation in Education Provost Award for: “The Use of Teledermatology in Pediatric Medical Education”
- Mar 2002 Certificate of Appreciation in Recognition of Exemplary Instruction, Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Program
- Shaikh N, Hoberman A, Wise B, Kurs-Lasky M, Kearney D, Naylor S, Haralam MA, Colborn DK, Docimo SG. Dysfunctional Elimination Syndrome: Is It Related to Urinary Tract Infection or Vesicoureteral Reflux Diagnosed Early in Life? Pediatrics. Nov 2003; 112 (5):1134-1137.
- Sangvai S, Chianese J, Morone N, Bogen DL, Voigt L, Shaikh N. Can an Herbal Preparation of Echinacea, Propolis, and Vitamin C Reduce Respiratory Illnesses in Children? Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. Mar 2004; 158:222-224.
- Shaikh N, Abedin S, Docimo SG. Can ultrasonography or uroflowmetry predict which children with voiding dysfunction will have recurrent urinary tract infections? J Urol. Oct 2005;174 (4):1620-1622.
- Shaikh N. Circumcision reduces rate of urinary tract infection especially for high-risk boys. J Pediatr, Mar 2006, 148 (3): 419.
- Shaikh N, Morone NE, Lopez J, Chianese J, Sangvai S, D’Amico F, Simel DL. Does This Child Have a Urinary Tract infection? JAMA. 298(24):2895-904, 2007 Dec 26.
- Shaikh N, Lehmann CU, Kaleida PH, Cohen BA. Efficacy and feasibility if Teledermatology for paediatric medical education. J Telemed Telecare, June 2008; 14: 204 - 207.
- Shaikh, N., et al., Prevalence of urinary tract infection in childhood: a meta-analysis. Pediatr Infect Dis J, 2008. 27(4): p. 302-8.
- Shaikh N, Hoberman A, Keren R. Commentary on ‘Interventions for primary vesicoureteral reflux.’ Evidence-Based Child Health: A Cochrane Review Journal. 2008;3(1):252-4.
- Shaikh N; Hoberman A; Paradise JL; Wald ER; Rockette H; Kurs-Lasky M; Colborn DK; Kearney D; Zoffel L. Responsiveness and Construct Validity of the Acute Otitis Media Severity of Symptom scale. Pediatr Infect Dis J; In press.
- Shaikh N; Hoberman A; Paradise JL; Wald ER; Switzer GE, Kurs-Lasky M; Colborn DK; Kearney D; Zoffel L; Development and Preliminary Validation of a Pediatric Symptom Severity Scale for Acute Otitis Media. Pediatr Infect Dis J; In press.
View Dr. Shaikh's full list of publications from PubMed.
Active Research Projects / Grants
- Diagnosing Acute Bacterial Sinusitis in Children and Measuring Treatment Response (Principal investigator)
- Development and validation of a patient-reported outcome measure for children with pharyngitis (Principal investigator)
- Efficacy of Antimicrobials in Young Children with AOM (Co-investigator)
- Efficacy of Prophylactic Antimicrobials in Children with VUR (Co-investigator)
- Careful Urinary Tract Infection Evaluation (Co-investigator)
April 28, 2009
April 28, 2009