- Asthma Center
- Allergy & Immunology
- Childhood Cancer
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Genetics
- Newborn Medicine
- Primary Care
- Transplant Programs
- Childrens Express Care
- International Services
- Health Info Management
- Poison Control Center
- Ronald McDonald House
- Social Work
- Telemedicine Program
- Volunteer Services
- Welcome/Info Center
Patients and Families
Planning a Visit
- Get Directions
- Childrens Locations
- Getting Around
- Guidelines for Visitors
- Contact a Patient
- Contact Children's
- Send an e-Card
- Gift Shop
- Find a Doctor
- Child Health A-Z
- Community Ed.Classes
- Injury Prevention
- International Patients
- Medical Records
- Patient Handbook
- Patient Procedures
- Safety Center
- Adolescent Medicine
- Babysitting Class
- Diseases & Conditions
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Injury Prevention
- Schools & Jobs
- Sexual Health
- Teen Health
- For Health Professionals
- Ways to Give
- CCP Offers 24/7 Care for Illnesses through Video Appointments
- Children's Opens Pediatric Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit
- Children's Receives Research Grant from St. Baldrick's Foundation
For Health Professionals
International Elective Learning Objectives
- Resident will provide patient care that is compassionate, appropriate and effective in the context of the location and community of which they will see patients.
- Demonstrate history and physical exam skills in a culturally sensitive approach that permit accurate diagnostic evaluation.
- Develop skills to diagnose and manage patients in a setting that is likely resource limited, or utilizes a different set of medical resources.
- Select appropriate diagnostic studies and therapeutics given the limitations of the environment, local resources, and patient ability to utilize resources.
- Learn about the care of chronic medical conditions within the living environment of the patients.
|The CURE Ethiopia Children's Hospital is a pediatric orthopaedic teaching hospital in Addis Ababa. Established in 2008, it is a 60-bed hospital complex that provides modern medical and surgical care to the physically disabled children of Ethiopia.|
- Resident will demonstrate the knowledge of established and evolving biomedical, clinical, epidemiological and behavioral sciences, as well as the application of this knowledge to patient care.
- Residents will develop a knowledge base to diagnose and appropriate treat common conditions endemic to the area of the world of clinic site.
- Learn the physiology, pathophysiology, assessment, and management of common diseases endemic to the area.
- Resident will learn how chronic conditions are managed, given available therapeutic interventions in the area, in the context of cultural tenets.
- Learn about the transmission, presentation, and prevention of infectious diseases common in the area of the world.
- Demonstrate the ability to care for their patients and evaluate their own strengths and knowledge base.
- Participate in the education of patients and families, in the context of adopting to the cultural structures of the families.
Interpersonal and Communication Skills
- Communicate effectively with other members of the health care team, including any members who would be considered atypical members in the resident’s current perception of the health care team.
- Develop skills necessary to communicate effectively with family members regarding the care of the patient.
- Understand and demonstrate adherence to ethical principles and maintain sensitivity to a diverse patient population.
- Demonstrate responsiveness to patients’ culture, age, sex and disabilities.
- Exhibit a professional attitude towards patients, colleagues, staff and community members.
- Be punctual for scheduled duties.
- Demonstrate an awareness and responsiveness to the larger context and national system of health care of the clinic setting.
- Residents will make efforts to learn about the national health care system of the rotation, the local resources, and proportion of population served by the current healthcare system.
- Residents will be cognizant of the social determinants of health and their critical affect on the health status of the patients and families evaluated by the resident.
August 20, 2012
August 20, 2012