By the turn of the century Children’s Hospital was well-received and well-utilized. Wards were filled to capacity. The early 1900s saw the additions of electric lights, fans, and open air tents. And in 1907 the hospital’s nursing school opened to train women to care for young of the community. To keep up with the times, in 1909 the hospital’s name was officially changed to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.

From conception Children’s Hospital was generously supported by the community it serves. In 1911 Tag Day was started and became a fund-raising tradition that lasted until 1975. Society page headliners took to the streets one spring day each year to collect money for the hospital. Throughout the area contributors could clearly be seen by the bright yellow tag they wore.

Taken from the Spring 1990 issue of Children's Hospital's COLORS magazine

Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Christmas 1902

Christmas, 1902

Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Fresh Air Pavilion 1912

Fresh Air Pavillion, 1912

Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Nursing Students 1900's

Nursing Students, Date Unknown