Children's Hospital is part of the UPMC family.
Approximately 15,000 Americans are injured each year from fireworks. Most are children and adolescents, and most injuries occur during the Fourth of July holiday. Permanent loss of eyesight, hearing or limbs can result from improperly used fireworks. Severe burns of the face and hands are common.
The only safe way to enjoy fireworks is to attend public events where professionals control the fireworks. Home fireworks displays cause thousands of preventable injuries across the United States. Most injuries from fireworks are from improper use, short fuses, defective products, re-lighting of fireworks, erratic flight of fireworks and drinking alcohol while lighting fireworks.
In Pennsylvania, sparklers are legal for private use, however, children should never play with them. Sparklers appear safe, but can burn as hot as 1,200 to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit. They can easily ignite clothing and cause severe burning. Also, remember that fireworks are illegal in Pennsylvania.
Please check with local police or health department officials to find out which fireworks are permitted in your state.
If fireworks are legal in your state, please use the following safety guidelines:
Children's Hospital's main campus is located in the Lawrenceville neighborhood. Our main hospital address is:
UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
One Children’s Hospital Way
4401 Penn Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
In addition to the main hospital, Children's has many convenient locations in other neighborhoods throughout the greater Pittsburgh region.
With myCHP, you can request appointments, review test results, and more.
For questions about a hospital bill call:
To pay your bill online, please visit UPMC's online bill payment system.
Interested in giving to Children's Hospital? Visit Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation's website to make a donation online.