Children's Hospital is part of the UPMC family.
Lithium coin-sized and smaller batteries, often referred to as button batteries, are commonly found in many household electronics – including toys, watches, cameras, games, hearing aids, and even singing or flashing greeting cards.
These flat, shiny batteries pose serious health risks for children, particularly toddlers who explore by putting things in their mouths. If swallowed, the button battery may stick in the throat or stomach, causing life-threatening burns and tissue damage as the chemicals leak out. Severe burns can occur in as little as two hours after swallowing. This injury is similar to a burn caused by swallowing a chemical drain cleaner. Both active and expired batteries can cause these severe injuries if swallowed.
Studies have shown that more than 3,400 swallowing cases were reported in the United States in 2010; 19 children sustained life-threatening or debilitating injuries and others died as a result of swallowing button batteries.
Electronics powered by button batteries are everywhere! It’s important to follow these safety tips:
Learn more about Safety Initiatives.
Children's Hospital's main campus is located in the Lawrenceville neighborhood. Our main hospital address is:
Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
One Children’s Hospital Way
4401 Penn Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
In addition to the main hospital, Children's has many convenient locations in other neighborhoods throughout the greater Pittsburgh region.
With myCHP, you can request appointments, review test results, and more.
For questions about a hospital bill call:
To pay your bill online, please visit UPMC's online bill payment system.
Interested in giving to Children's Hospital? Visit Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation's website to: