Children's Hospital is part of the UPMC family.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), an increasing number of incidents are being reported of children swallowing high-powered magnets found in desk and stress reliever toys made for adults. These magnets are typically sold in sets and include several hundred tiny magnets in each pack.
Toddlers often mistake these small magnets for candy and teens use them to mimic body piercings, which may lead to unintentional swallowing. Since 2009, the CPSC has reported 22 incidents of children and teens, ranging in age from 18 months to 15 years, swallowing these high-powered ball-bearing magnets.
If swallowed, high-powered magnets can cause serious and life-threatening injuries. When multiple magnets are swallowed, they can connect to one another within the abdomen, blocking a portion of the intestines. This may lead to serious injuries including intestinal holes and blockages.
Learn more about Safety Initiatives.
Children's Hospital's main campus is located in the Lawrenceville neighborhood. Our main hospital address is:
UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
One Children’s Hospital Way
4401 Penn Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
In addition to the main hospital, Children's has many convenient locations in other neighborhoods throughout the greater Pittsburgh region.
With myCHP, you can request appointments, review test results, and more.
For questions about a hospital bill call:
To pay your bill online, please visit UPMC's online bill payment system.
Interested in giving to Children's Hospital? Visit Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation's website to make a donation online.