- Asthma Center
- Allergy & Immunology
- Childhood Cancer
- Childrens Express Care
- Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Genetics
- Newborn Medicine
- Primary Care
- Transplant Programs
- International Services
- Health Info Management
- Poison Control Center
- Ronald McDonald House
- Social Work
- Telemedicine Program
- Volunteer Services
Patients and Families
Planning a Visit
- Get Directions
- Childrens Locations
- Getting Around
- Guidelines for Visitors
- Contact a Patient
- Contact Children's
- Send an e-Card
- Gift Shop
- Find a Doctor
- Child Health A-Z
- Community Ed.Classes
- Injury Prevention
- International Patients
- Medical Records
- Patient Handbook
- Patient Procedures
- Safety Center
- Adolescent Medicine
- Babysitting Class
- Diseases & Conditions
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Injury Prevention
- Schools & Jobs
- Sexual Health
- Teen Health
- For Health Professionals
- Ways to Give
- New Center Offers Hope to Kids From Around the World With Rare Diseases
- Free Care Fund Benefit Show Raises More Than $2.1 Million
- Childrens Express Care-Erie Opens
Victor O. Morell, MD
Job Title Chief, Division of Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery
Job Title Co-Director, Heart Center, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
Job Title Co-Director, UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute
Job Title Vice Chair & Director of Cardiovascular Services, UPMC Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Job Title Associate Professor of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Job Title Associate Program Director, Thoracic Surgery Residency, University of Pittsburgh
4401 Penn Avenue, Suite Floor 3Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Education and Training
1988 Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico
1993 General Surgery Residency, Robert Packer Hospital/Guthrie Clinic, Sayre, Pa.
1996 Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship, Children's Hospital Boston, Mass.
- 2004 Congenital Heart Surgeons Society
- 2003 The Southern Thoracic Surgical Association
- 2002 PanAmerican Medical Association of Florida
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Chrysostomou C, Maul T, Callahan PM, Nguyen K, Lichtenstein S, Coate EG, Morell VO, Wearden P. Neurodevelopmental Outcomes after Pediatric Cardiac ECMO Support. Front Pediatr. 2013 Dec 19;1:47.
- Sanchez-de-Toledo J, Chrysostomou C, Munoz R, Lichtenstein S, Sao-Avilés CA, Wearden PD, Morell VO, Clark RS, Toney N, Bell MJ. Cerebral Regional Oxygen Saturation and Serum Neuromarkers for the Prediction of Adverse Neurologic Outcome in Pediatric Cardiac Surgery. Neurocrit Care. 2013 Nov 8.
- Yoshida M, Menon PG, Chrysostomou C, Pekkan K, Wearden PD, Oshima Y, Okita Y, Morell VO. Total cavopulmonary connection in patients with apicocaval juxtaposition: optimal conduit route using preoperative angiogram and flow simulation. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2013 Jul;44(1):e46-52.
Victor O. Morell, MD, who joined Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh as chief of the Division of Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery in 2004, is a skilled surgeon, administrator, researcher and educator. In May 2011, Dr. Morell was appointed co-director of the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute, He also serves as vice chair and director of cardiovascular services for the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
Dr. Morell was recruited from St. Joseph's Children's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., where he served as chief of Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery and director of the Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit from 2000 to 2004. Under his leadership, the pediatric cardiovascular program became the largest in Florida.
As an educator, Dr. Morell serves as associate professor of pediatric cardiothoracic surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and is involved in training cardiothoracic residents at the university and Allegheny General Hospital. In Florida, he was influential in providing residents and fellows with a pediatric cardiac intensive care rotation at St. Joseph's Children's Hospital by building relationships with the University of South Florida and University of Florida.
In the laboratory, Dr. Morell is co-investigator of a National Institutes of Health-funded research initiative to develop an implantable ventricular assist device suitable for use in infants and children. He also is involved in clinical studies related to pediatric cardiothoracic surgery with expertise in the management of complex transposition of the great arteries with a ventricular septal defect and pulmonary stenosis.
Dr. Morell earned a bachelor's degree in biochemistry from Purdue University and earned his medical degree from the Ponce School of Medicine, Ponce, Puerto Rico. He completed his surgical residency at Robert Packer Hospital-Guthrie Clinic in Sayre, Pa., where he was chief surgical resident in his final year. He completed his cardiothoracic residency at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. He also completed fellowships in cardiothoracic surgery at Children's Hospital Boston and at the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children in London, England, before joining the medical staff at Children's Hospital of Tampa. In Tampa, Dr. Morell received the Pediatric Specialist of the Year award in 2001.
He has published more than two dozen peer-reviewed manuscripts in scientific journals and has presented numerous abstracts at national meetings. Dr. Morell is board-certified in general surgery and in thoracic surgery.
September 24, 2014
September 24, 2014