- Asthma Center
- Allergy & Immunology
- Childhood Cancer
- Childrens Express Care
- Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Genetics
- Newborn Medicine
- Primary Care
- Transplant Programs
- Child Life
- International Services
- Health Info Management
- Poison Control Center
- Ronald McDonald House
- Social Work
- Telemedicine Program
- Volunteer Services
Patients and Families
Planning a Visit
- Get Directions
- Childrens Locations
- Getting Around
- Guidelines for Visitors
- Contact a Patient
- Contact Children's
- Send an e-Card
- Gift Shop
- Find a Doctor
- Child Health A-Z
- Community Ed.Classes
- Injury Prevention
- International Patients
- Medical Records
- Patient Handbook
- Patient Procedures
- Safety Center
- Adolescent Medicine
- Babysitting Class
- Child Life
- Diseases & Conditions
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Injury Prevention
- Schools & Jobs
- Sexual Health
- Teen Health
- Child Life
- Coloring Pages
- How the Body Works
- Kids Health
- Safety Cartoons
- Safety Quizzes
- The Games Closet
- For Health Professionals
- Ways to Give
- Children's Begins Construction of New Erie Specialty Care Center
- Stimulating Heart Muscle Regeneration in Infants
- Rebooting Cell Programming Can Reverse Liver Failure
Michael J. Bell, MD
Job Title Director, Pediatric Neurocritical Care, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
Job Title Director, Pediatric Neurotrauma Center, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
Job Title Associate Director, Safar Center for Resuscitation Research for Pediatric Neurointensive Care, University of Pittsburgh
Job Title Professor, Critical Care Medicine and Neurological Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
4401 Penn Avenue, Suite Floor 5Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Education and Training
1991 State University of New York Health Sciences, Brooklyn, NY
1994 St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, PA
1997 Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Pittsburgh, PA
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Pediatrics, Critical Care Medicine
- Advanced Trauma Life Support
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support, Instructor
- Finalist, National Neurotrauma Society Award, Interleukin-6 and Interleukin-10 are Increased in CSF of Pediatric Patients after Traumatic Brain Injury
- Educational Scholarship Award, Society of Critical Care Medicine, Adenosine is Increased in CSF of Children after Traumatic Brain Injury
- Finalist, National Neurotrauma Society Award, Interstitial Adenosine, Inosine, and Hypoxanthine is Increased After Traumatic Brain Injury in Rats
- In Training Fellow Award, Society of Critical Care Medicine, Interstitial Brain Adenosine is Increased During Jugular Venous Oxygen Desaturations in Humans after Traumatic Brain Injury: Evidence of Energy Failure
- Golden Apple Teaching award, Presented by the House Staff of Children’s National Medical Center for excellence in teaching
- 1999, 2002, 2004 Golden Apple Departmental Teaching award, Presented by the House Staff of Children’s National Medical Center for excellence in teaching
- Award for Scientific and Academic Achievement, Presented by Children’s Research Institute, Children’s National Medical Center for Superior Achievement in Basic Research by Junior Faculty, Effects of Intrauterine Inflammation on Developing Glia
- Named to Best Doctors in America
- Au A, Carcillo JA, Clark RSB, Bell MJ. “Brain Injuries and Neurological SystemFailure are the Most Common Proximate Cause of Death in Children Admitted to a Pediatric Intensive Care Unit”. Pediatr Crit Care 2011 (in press). PMID: 21037501.
- Fink EL, Kochanek PM, Clark RSB, Bell MJ. “Fever Control and Application ofHypothermia Using Cold Intravenous Saline”. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2011 (in press).PMID: 21037507.
- Salonia R, Empey PE, Poloyac SM, Wisniewski SR, Klamerus M, Ozawa H, Wagner AK, Ruppel1 R, Bell MJ, Feldman K, Adelson PD, Clark RSB and Kochanek PM. “Endothelin-1 is Increased in Cerebrospinal Fluid and Associated with Unfavorable Outcomes in Children after Severe Traumatic Brain Injury”. J Neurotrauma 27(10):1819-25, 2010. PMID: 20684675.
- Fink EL, Clark RSB, Kochanek PM, Bell MJ, Watson RS. “A Tertiary Care Center’s Experience with Therapeutic Hypothermia after Pediatric Cardiac Arrest”. Pediatr Crit Care 11 (1): 66-74, 2010. PMID 19935440.
- Baltagi SA, Shoykhet M, Felmet K, Kochanek PM, Bell MJ. “Neurological Sequelae of H1N1 Influenza in Children: A Case Series Observed During a Pandemic”, Pediatr Crit Care Med 11(2): 179-84, 2010. PMID: 20081552.
- Fink EL, Kochanek PM, Clark RSB, Bell MJ. “How to Cool Children in Neurointensive Care”. Neurocrit Care 12(3): 414-20, 2010. PMID: 20146026.
- Mehta A, Kochanek PM, Tyler-Kabara E, Adelson PD, Wisniewski S, Berger RP, Sidoni MD, Bell RL, Clark RSB and Bell MJ. “The Relationship Between Intracranial Pressure (ICP) and Cerebral Perfusion Pressure with Outcome in Young Children after Severe Traumatic Brain Injury”. Dev Neurosci 32(5-6): 413-9, 2010.
- Su E, Bell MJ, Wisniewski SR, Adelson PD, Janesko-Feldman KL, Kochanek PM, Kagan VE and Bayir H. “Alpha Synuclein Levels are Elevated in Cerebrospinal Fluid Following Traumatic Brain Injury in Infants and Children: The Effect of Therapeutic Hypothermia”. Dev Neurosci 32 (5-6): 385-95, 2010. PMID: 21124000.
- Exo J, Kochanek PM, Adelson PD, Greene S, Clark RSB, Bayir H, Wisniewski SR and Bell MJ. “Intracranial Pressure Monitoring Systems in Children with Traumatic Brain Injury: Combining Therapeutic and Diagnostic Tools”. Pediatr Crit Care 2010 (in press). PMID: 20625341.
- Su E, Shoykhet M, Bell MJ. “Severe Hypernatremia in a Hospitalized Child: Munchausen by Proxy”. Pediatr Neurol 43(4): 270-3, 2010. PMID: 20837306.
- Smith CM, Adelson PD, Chang Y-F, Brown SD, Kochanek PM, Clark RSB, Bayir H, Hinchberger J and Bell MJ. “Brain-Systemic Temperature Gradient is Temperature Dependent in Children with Severe Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)”. Pediatr Crit Care 2010 (in press). PMID: 20711083.
- Bell MJ, Carpenter J, Au A, Keating R, Myseros J, Yaun A and Weinstein S. Development of a Pediatric Neurocritical Care Service – A Single-Center’s Experience. Neurocrit Care 2009 10: 4-10. PMID 18256793.
- Fink EL, Beers S, Russell ML, Bell MJ. “Acute Brain Injury and Therapeutic Hypothermia in the PICU: A Rehabilitation Perspective”. J Pediatr Rehab Med 2(4): 309-19, 2009.
- Ochalski PG, Okonkwo DO, Bell MJ, Adelson PD. “Reversal of coma with flumazenil in a child following a traumatic brain injury”. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2009 3: 240-243. PMID: 19338472.
- Sanchez de Toledo J, Adelson PD, Watson RS, Gaines B, Brown SD, Kochanek PM, Wisniewski S, Fink EL, Bayir H, Clark RSB, Bell MJ. “Relationship Between Increases in Pancreatic Enzymes and Cerebral Events in Children after Traumatic Brain Injury”. Neurocrit Care 11: 322-329, 2009. PMID 19669945.
- Exo J, Smith R, Smith C, Bell MJ. “Emergency Treatment Options for Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury”. Ped Health 3 (6): 533.541, 2009. PMID: 20191093.
- Hsu AA, Fenton K, Weinstein S, Carpenter J, Dalton H and Bell MJ. Neurological Injury Markers in Children with Septic Shock. Pediatr Crit Care 2008 9: 245-51.
- Chew LJ, Takanohashi A, Bell MJ. Microglia and Inflammation: Impact on Developmental Brain Injuries. Ment Dev Dis Rev 12: 105-12, 2006.
- Bell MJ, Hallenbeck JM, Gallo V. Determining the Fetal Inflammatory Response in an Experimental Model of Intrauterine Inflammation. Pediatr Res 56(1): 541-6, 2004.
- Bell MJ and Hallenbeck JM. The Effects of Intrauterine Inflammation on Developing Rat Brain. J Neurosci Res 70: 570-9, 2002.
- Bell MJ, Robertson CS, Kochanek PM, Goodman JC, Gopinpath S, Carcillo JA, Clark RSB, Marion DW, Mi Z, Jackson EK. Interstitial Brain Adenosine is Increased During Jugular Venous Desaturations in Humans after Traumatic Brain Injury: Evidence of Energy Failure. Crit Care Med 29(2): 399-404, 2001.
Active Research Projects / Grants
- Effects of Inflammation on Developing Glia
October 17, 2014
October 17, 2014