Children's Hospital is part of the UPMC family.
1. Follow your asthma management plan for directions on how many times a day your doctor wants you to take the medicine in the MDI with the chamber with mouthpiece.
Before you use a new inhaler for the first time, take the cap off and prime it by spraying 4 puffs into the air.
2. Be sure to check that the chamber is free of foreign objects.
3. Put the chamber and MDI together by gently pushing the MDI into the opening.
Shake the MDI and chamber well for 5 seconds.
4. Exhale (breathe out).
5. Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and close your lips around it to make a seal.
6. Squeeze the MDI so one puff of medicine is sprayed into the chamber.
7. S-l-o-w-l-y take a deep breath in and hold it for 10 seconds. If the chamber whistles, breathe in slower.
8. Hold your breath for 10 seconds then breath out normally.
9. If two puffs of medicine have been prescribed, wait 1 minute and repeat steps 4-8.
10. Wash the chamber with mouthpiece once a week in a clean bowl of warm water and dishwashing liquid. Rinse gently with warm water and let air dry. Never use a towel. Replace if chamber gets cracked or broken.
Children's Hospital's main campus is located in the Lawrenceville neighborhood. Our main hospital address is:
UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
One Children’s Hospital Way
4401 Penn Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
In addition to the main hospital, Children's has many convenient locations in other neighborhoods throughout the greater Pittsburgh region.
With myCHP, you can request appointments, review test results, and more.
For questions about a hospital bill call:
To pay your bill online, please visit UPMC's online bill payment system.
Interested in giving to Children's Hospital? Visit Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Foundation's website to make a donation online.