- Asthma Center
- Allergy & Immunology
- Childhood Cancer
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)
- Emergency Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Medical Genetics
- Newborn Medicine
- Primary Care
- Transplant Programs
- Childrens Express Care
- International Services
- Health Info Management
- Poison Control Center
- Ronald McDonald House
- Social Work
- Telemedicine Program
- Volunteer Services
- Welcome/Info Center
Patients and Families
Planning a Visit
- Get Directions
- Childrens Locations
- Getting Around
- Guidelines for Visitors
- Contact a Patient
- Contact Children's
- Send an e-Card
- Gift Shop
- Find a Doctor
- Child Health A-Z
- Community Ed.Classes
- Injury Prevention
- International Patients
- Medical Records
- Patient Handbook
- Patient Procedures
- Adolescent Medicine
- Babysitting Class
- Diseases & Conditions
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Injury Prevention
- Schools & Jobs
- Sexual Health
- Teen Health
- For Health Professionals
- Ways to Give
- Children's is in the Top 10 Again
- Children's 'Hard Head Patrol' Hits the Streets to Keep Kids Safe
- Adding Breast Milk Ingredient to Formula Could Prevent Deadly Intestinal Problem in Premature Babies
Ricardo A. Muñoz, MD, FAAP, FCCM, F.A.C.C.
Job Title Chief, Cardiac Intensive Care Division, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
Job Title Director, Cardiac Recovery Program, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
Job Title Medical Director for Global Business and Telemedicine, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
Job Title Director, International Affairs, Heart Center, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
Job Title Associate Professor, Department of Critical Care Medicine, Department of Pediatrics and Surgery, University of Pittsburgh
4401 Penn Avenue, Suite Floor 3Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Education and Training
Universidad del Norte, Barranquilla, Colombia
Pediatrics, Universidad Militar Nueva Granada, Hospital Militar Central, Bogota, Colombia; Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital and Children's Hospital Boston
Anesthesia, Critical Care, Research Fellow , Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
Pediatrics, Clinical and Research fellow, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
Pediatric Critical Care, Clinical Fellow, Harvard Medical School, Masachusetts General Hospital, Boston
Pediatric Cardiology, Clinical Fellow, Harvard Medical School, Children's Hospital Boston
- Honor List for Academic Achievement, Universidad del Norte
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society
- European Association of Pediatric Cardiology, Working Group Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care, Councilor European Society of Pediatric Cardiology
- World Society for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery, Founding Member
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Pediatrics Sub-board Cardiology
- American Board of Pediatrics Sub-board Critical Care Medicine
- October 2007, Ministry of Social Protection Medal of Merit for Contributions to the Medical Field of Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care, awarded by the President of the Republic of Colombia, Decree No. 4183, The “Jorge Bejarano” Civic Cross of Health and Social Merit, Bronze Medal, Bogota, D.C.
- 2004-2008, Five Star Customer Service Award, for scoring in the top 10% for “Excellent” responses, Inpatient Pediatric Services Overall Quality of Care, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, CICU, 5 consecutive years
- Grant Award for the Minority, Clinical Associate Physician(NIH) General Clinical Research Center
- Honor List for Academic Achievement, Universidad del Norte, Barranquilla, Colombia
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow
- Society of Critical Care Medicine, Fellow
- American College of Cardiology, Fellow
- Chrysostomou C., Beerman L., Shiderly D., Berry D, Morell O. V., Munoz R. Dexmedetomidine: A Novel Agent for the Treatment of Atrial and Junctional Tachyarrhythmias in Infants and Children after Cardiac Surgery, Anesth Analg.;107(5):1514-22, Nov 2008.
- Barton K., Munoz R., Morell O. V., Chrysostomou C. Dexmedetomidine as the primary sedative during invasive procedures in infants and toddlers with congenital heart disease, Pediatr Crit Care Med. 9(6):612-5, Nov 2008.
- Munoz R., Sanchez de Toledo J. Past, Present and Future of Congenital Heart Diseases, Revista Argentina de Cardiologia Vol 76: 27-31, 2008.
- Manrique AM, Lichtenstein S, Arroyo M, Chrysostomou C, Wearden P, Morell OV, Munoz R. Magnesium Supplementation During Pediatric Cardiopulmonary Bypass: A Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial. Submitted to Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2008.
- Munoz R, Schmitt C, Roth S, DaCruz E. Handbook of Pediatric Cardiovascular Drugs, ISBN: 978-1-84628-952-1, Springer-Verlag London Ltd. 2008. Click here to purchase this book.
- Munoz R, DaCruz E, Palacio G, Maroto C. Cuidados Criticos en Cardiopatias Congenitas o Adquiridas, ISBN: 978-958-98288-7-8, Distribuna Editorial Medica LTDA. 2008.
- Munoz R, Morell V, Vetterly C, DaCruz E. Critical Care of Children with Heart Disease-Basic Medical and Surgical Concepts, ISBN 978-1-84882-261-Springer-Verlag London Ltd. 2010. Click here to purchase this book.
Ricardo Muñoz, MD, FAAP, FCCM, F.A.C.C., is chief of the Cardiac Intensive Care Division and director of the Cardiac Recovery Program. He is also the Medical Director for Global Business and Telemedicine for Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC.
Dr. Munoz attended medical school at the Universidad del Norte, Barranquilla, Colombia and completed his residency in pediatrics at the Hospital Militar Central, Bogota, Colombia, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Children's Hospital Boston. He also completed fellowships in pediatric critical care medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital and in pediatric cardiology at Children’s Hospital in Boston.
Dr. Munoz is a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American College of Critical Care Medicine, and the American College of Cardiology.
Active Research Projects / Grants
- Use of Dexmedetomidine in Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Patients
- Magnesium Metabolism in Children with Congenital Heart Disease
- Pediatric Cardiac Recovery Program: Neurologic outcome in children after discharge from the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit
April 16, 2013
April 16, 2013