COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Update: New Patient Visitor Guidelines and More
Children's Hospital is part of the UPMC family.
Be safe anytime, anywhere.
To find a pediatrician or pediatric specialist, please call 412-692-7337 or search our directory.
A resource for our network of referring physicians.
For more information about research, please call our main office at 412-692-6438.
Ranked #8 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report.
Children with egg allergies may be able to receive influenza vaccination if properly administered, according to a Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC study.
During the 2009-2010 flu season, allergists at Children’s Hospital provided flu vaccines containing the highest content of egg protein available and found that the vaccine was well tolerated in egg-allergic children. Results of the study by Gregory Owens, M.D., and Andrew J. MacGinnitie, M.D., Ph.D., are published online this week in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. Researchers administered the vaccine in a two-step process, giving 10 percent of the vaccine initially and then observing the patient for allergic reaction for up to 30 minutes before providing the remaining 90 percent of the vaccine.
“While current guidelines recommend against vaccinating children with egg allergy, the risk is not clear or fully understood. The results of our and other studies indicate that using the two-step protocol allows egg allergic patients to safely receive the influenza vaccination,” said Dr. Owens, an allergist/immunologist at Children’s Hospital. “Families of children with egg allergy should consider vaccination using this protocol because influenza causes significant morbidity and mortality every season.”
Children’s researchers gave a total of 96 vaccinations to 64 patients and observed four mild allergic reactions, including redness and rashes. No patients developed anaphylaxis. For this study, Children’s used the Sanofi-Pasteur seasonal and H1N1 vaccines, which contain the highest levels of egg protein among available vaccines.
“It’s reassuring that even using these higher egg protein-content vaccines, no patients developed anaphylaxis,” Dr. Owens said.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, annual outbreaks of the seasonal flu usually occur during the late fall through early spring. Most people have natural immunity, and a seasonal flu vaccine is available. In a typical year, approximately 5 to 20 percent of the population gets the seasonal flu. Flu-related deaths range from 3,300 to 48,600 (average 23,600).
For more information about the flu, please visit www.chp.edu.
Children's Hospital's main campus is located in the Lawrenceville neighborhood. Our main hospital address is:
UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
One Children’s Hospital Way
4401 Penn Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
In addition to the main hospital, Children's has many convenient locations in other neighborhoods throughout the greater Pittsburgh region.
With myCHP, you can request appointments, review test results, and more.
For questions about a hospital bill call:
To pay your bill online, please visit UPMC's online bill payment system.
Interested in giving to Children's Hospital? Support the hospital by making a donation online, joining our Heroes in Healing monthly donor program, or visiting our site to learn about the other ways you can give back.