Your health can’t wait. Learn how we’re making our facilities safer and schedule your care now.
Children's Hospital is part of the UPMC family.
Be safe anytime, anywhere.
To find a pediatrician or pediatric specialist, please call 412-692-7337 or search our directory.
A resource for our network of referring physicians.
For more information about research, please call our main office at 412-692-6438.
Ranked #9 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report.
PITTSBURGH, PA - December 11, 2012 - As the holidays arrive, many children are anxious to receive the toys they have been asking for all year. However, injury prevention experts at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC encourage all parents to shop cautiously this holiday season and be aware of toys and other gadgets that could pose a serious health threat to children.
Especially dangerous are the small, disc-shaped button batteries in toys, which may be tempting to young children. They also are commonly found in many household electronics, including watches, cameras, games and even singing or flashing greeting cards.
These flat, shiny batteries can pose serious health risks for children, particularly toddlers who explore by putting things in their mouths. If swallowed, the battery may stick in the throat or stomach, causing life-threatening burns and tissue damage as the chemicals leak out. Severe burns can occur in as little as two hours after swallowing. This injury is similar to a burn caused by swallowing a chemical drain cleaner.
According to Safe Kids, more than 3,400 battery-swallowing cases were reported in the United States in 2010; 19 children sustained life-threatening or debilitating injuries and others died as a result of swallowing button batteries.
“These batteries can now be found almost anywhere in the home and may look like a piece of candy to many children, but they can cause harmful damage if swallowed,” said Barbara Gaines, M.D., director of the Benedum Pediatric Trauma Program at Children’s Hospital. “The best prevention method parents can use is to check their child’s toys beforehand to ensure they are safe and to be aware if they contain any small batteries. Parents should also keep batteries locked safely inside the toys in which they are used or store them out of reach of children.”
In addition, dead batteries, even though they aren’t powering the products, can pose a danger and cause the same type of harmful damage to children. They also need to be kept out of the reach of children and disposed of properly.
If you suspect your child has swallowed a button battery, seek immediate medical attention even before symptoms appear. Symptoms may include coughing, drooling, trouble swallowing and fever.
To keep the holidays safe for your entire family, Children’s Hospital offers some additional tips for parents and children:
For more information and safety tips for the holiday season, please visit www.chp.edu/besafe.
Andrea Kunicky, 412-692-6254, Andrea.Kunicky@chp.edu
Marc Lukasiak, 412-692-7919, firstname.lastname@example.org
Children's Hospital's main campus is located in the Lawrenceville neighborhood. Our main hospital address is:
UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
One Children’s Hospital Way
4401 Penn Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
In addition to the main hospital, Children's has many convenient locations in other neighborhoods throughout the greater Pittsburgh region.
With myCHP, you can request appointments, review test results, and more.
For questions about a hospital bill call:
To pay your bill online, please visit UPMC's online bill payment system.
Interested in giving to Children's Hospital? Support the hospital by making a donation online, joining our Heroes in Healing monthly donor program, or visiting our site to learn about the other ways you can give back.