Read the Latest
Children's Hospital is part of the UPMC family.
Be safe anytime, anywhere.
To find a pediatrician or pediatric specialist, please call 412-692-7337 or search our directory.
A resource for our network of referring physicians.
For more information about research, please call our main office at 412-692-6438.
Ranked #9 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report.
At UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, we believe parents and guardians can contribute to the success of this test and invite you to participate. Please read the following information to learn about the test and how you can help.
The eye movement recording test gives important information in the diagnosis and treatment of nystagmus (nigh-STAG-muss). Nystagmus is an eye problem which causes the eyes to make involuntary (unintentional) movements or “wiggle.” It usually affects both eyes and often is more visible when the eyes are looking in a particular direction. Nystagmus can cause vision problems and often occurs with strabismus (stra-BIZZ-muss), which is misaligned eyes, and amblyopia (am-blee-OH-pee-uh), sometimes called “lazy eye.”
About 90 percent of all cases are infantile nystagmus, meaning that the child develops the condition in the first few months of life. The other 10 percent of cases are acquired nystagmus, meaning that it was caused by something else, such as a brain injury or tumor.
The eye movement recording test takes measurements of the eye to determine what position causes the nystagmus to get better or worse; what distances cause the nystagmus to get better or worse; and whether the nystagmus changes with direction or intensity over time. The ophthalmologist also can observe a child’s head position as he or she wears the goggles. A child will naturally adjust his or her head to improve vision. All of this information is important in treating nystagmus, especially if a surgical approach to improving a child’s vision is needed.
No special preparation is needed before the eye movement recording test.
This test is done in a special room in the doctor’s office at the Division of Pediatric Ophthalmology at Children’s.
If your child has any special needs or health issues you feel the doctor needs to know about, please call the Division of Ophthalmology at Children’s before the appointment and ask to speak with a nurse. It is important to notify us in advance about any special needs your child might have.
Children's Hospital's main campus is located in the Lawrenceville neighborhood. Our main hospital address is:
UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
One Children’s Hospital Way
4401 Penn Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
In addition to the main hospital, Children's has many convenient locations in other neighborhoods throughout the greater Pittsburgh region.
With myCHP, you can request appointments, review test results, and more.
For questions about a hospital bill call:
To pay your bill online, please visit UPMC's online bill payment system.
Interested in giving to Children's Hospital? Support the hospital by making a donation online, joining our Heroes in Healing monthly donor program, or visiting our site to learn about the other ways you can give back.