Adolescent to Adulthood Transition Care Program

Transition is the healthy, natural process of growing into adulthood. Young adults begin receiving care from doctors who specialize in adults. When you were younger, a pediatrician or pediatric specialist at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh cared for you.

Now, as a young adult, you will move or transition to a new doctor who trained in adult care.

Contact the Adolescent to Adulthood Transition Care Program

To schedule an appointment to discuss transition to adult care or if you have general questions, please call 412-692-6677 and leave a message on the nurse option. Someone from our team will call you back. 

Finding A New Medical Home

Many adolescents transition from their pediatrician to an adult doctor called an “internist” between the ages of 18 and 26. Some can keep seeing their family medicine practitioner. Others need specialized medical care.

One option for young people with special health care needs is called the Progressive Evaluation & Referral Center (PERC). PERC is a clinic within a clinic through the UPMC General Internal Medicine Office (GIMO) for patients with multiple complex medical conditions, technology dependence since childhood (e.g. ventilator, tube feeds, wheelchair, etc.), and/or intellectual or developmental disabilities.

Click the link above to learn more about PERC or call 412-692-4888.

What is Transition in Medicine?

How can I play a bigger role in my health care?

Start by learning about your medical needs as you grow into adulthood. Ask questions. Talk to your doctors about what you can do to be a part of your medical decisions and how to become more independent.

How does health care transition affect other parts of my life?

As a young adult, your medical decisions along with many other life decisions become your own. Your parents may continue to be a resource for you. But, it’s the exciting time in your life for you to learn how to take care of yourself.

Many areas of your life change as you become an adult, such as work and school. Your medical needs change too. You need a care team who specializes in adults to help you stay healthy. Making important choices about your own health care can help you to plan for your future!

What if I don't want a new doctor?

We understand and are glad that you have such a good relationship with your doctor. Your pediatrician does not “go away.” They will answer questions for your new adult doctor. As you enter adulthood and become independent, your health care is important. A doctor for adults understands your needs and can join you as you transition to their care.

What if I have a health concern and need my old doctors?

Selecting a new adult doctor takes time. Your pediatric doctors will help you to share important information about your care. They will be available to answer questions from your new doctor once you have moved on to adult care. You will receive the best care from your medical team.

Why should I care about my transition?

This is an exciting phase of your life. Now that you are a young adult, your health care decisions become your own. You are able to learn how to care for yourself without your parents.

Many people have medical needs and need a care team who specializes in adults to help them to stay healthy. You are now making important choices for your care.

Adolescent to Adult Transition Care Resources

Transition Medicine Information for Parents and Caregivers

What are the differences between pediatric and adult care?

At the age of 18, young adults are responsible for health care decision making and they are the only ones who have access to their health records. Some young adults may need help handling their health care. In such cases, you will need to make legal arrangements. Start talking with your doctor about this transition. There are resources to help start this process.

Adult health care focuses on the young adult. It does not include family members as it did with pediatric care. This can be a big change, so transition should be a planned and step-by-step process.

How can I begin to help my child in this process?

You can talk to your child’s health care providers about transition and ask for suggestions.

Adolescent to Adult Transition Resources for Parents