Financial Support for Your Child's Heart Disease Care

Diagnosis and treatment of heart defects are costly. Families may need help paying for their child's care.

The team at the Heart Institute at UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh can connect you to these programs and help you apply.

If patient families have bill-related issues, they should contact the bill sender directly.

Others who can answer financial questions include Heart Institute billing clerks or the hospital's patient accounting department.

Health Care Coverage for Kids in Pennsylvania

Medicaid and CHIP

Pennsylvania provides health care coverage to all disabled children (up to age 21) living in the state.

All families whose children have severe heart disease should apply, regardless of income or insurance coverage. Your child's heart doctor can tell you if their condition is severe.

For help with medical assistance, contact UPMC Patient Financial Services at 1-800-371-8359, option 1.

Learn more about:

U.S. Government Programs

Children with severe and disabling heart conditions can apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). This program provides a monthly stipend and state-funded health care based on household income.

Learn more about or apply for SSI.